Thursday, July 26, 2012

Proud to Be A Mormon

There was a recent Facebook post of a picture of the LDS temple in San Diego, California.  It said, "Share if you are proud to be a Mormon."  I did, because I am.

I am a Latter-Day Saint.  I know that Jesus Christ lives.  I know that I am a daughter of God.  I know that my Heavenly Father loves me.  And I am proud to be nick-named "a Mormon".

Now, why am I proud to be a Mormon?

I am proud to be a Mormon, because there was a time when I wasn't -- well, at least not a very good one.  There was a time in my life when I wasn't living the way I should.  When I wasn't living up to the knowledge and testimony that I had previously acquired by study and faith.

Through a lot of hard work, I repented, and I changed.  I fought hard.  I fought harder trying to forgive myself, but eventually that happened.  And that's why I'm proud.  I'm proud because through exercising the gospel of repentance, through two great bishops, and a lot of love from family and friends --- I became a better person.  I am grateful for both bishops, one bishop who laid down the law, and the other who convinced me it was okay to forgive myself.  I am proud to be a Mormon, someone who sets high standards for themselves and fights to live up to those standards.  Someone who doesn't give up, but strives every day to do a little better.

And isn't that what a religion should do?

1 comment: