Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Grade Orientation

I attended school orientation for my first grader tonight.  One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Why?  Our kids have been attending here for ages, what do I need to get "orientated" about?"  I said, "Well, they could have changed things since last year."  She said, "Thanks, you're not helping."  She stayed and was glad she did, because things are changing just a bit.

I like the beginning of the school year --- NO, I LOVE THE BEGINNING OF SCHOOL.  I always have, and now that I work full-time I get to live vicariously through my children.  Ah!  The joy of new erasers and fresh markers.  Fresh school clothes.  A new class.  A new teacher, sometimes.  A fresh start.

I had a mixture of emotion tonight.  Gratitude that my son has the same teacher again -- a teacher who obviously loves children.  Total exhaustion at the thought of another nine months of homework battles.  Pride when the teacher mentioned in front of the other parents that my son was the best reader in the class last year.  Relief when the other 1st grader parents mentioned that yes, their children had also completely resisted workbooks and reading this summer. --- And Comraderie when I left the room with the other first grade parents discussing the changes for the new year.

Ah!  What fun it is to be a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment