Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Twelve Days of Christmas (Our Family History)

I am a former Camp Fire kid.  I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade and my family was knocking on doors in a local neighborhood, selling Camp Fire candy.  We met an older gentleman who had just been widowed.  I remember the porch, I don't remember his face, but I will always remember how terribly lonely he was.

Well, this struck a nerve with our little family, and my mom decided to do something about it.  She got the idea to do the 12 Days of Christmas for this gentleman.  And thus, a tradition was born in our family.  Every year for more than 25 years (~1985 to 2010+) my parents and whatever kids were still living at home, did the 12 Days of Christmas for a recent widow, someone who would be alone for Christmas, or someone we admired who needed a little pick-me-up.  And last year, this working mom with two kids, got the courage to try this with her own children -- yes, with a little bit of planning, we have a handmade or small purchased gift with a note from "The Elves" and deliver it after school each day for twelve days.

It has also produced additional family stories.  We've been "caught" very early, like on Day 2 or 3.  We've been "caught" halfway through.  We've had people leave us a gift on the last day of Christmas (nice, but not expected).  We have fallen running between our car and the receiver's house.  We even had a year where we delivered half the gifts to the wrong house -- Ooops!  (That sometimes happens when you have two different drivers, and one doesn't give directions very well & the other doesn't remember numbers -- love you Mom & Dad.)  And now, my mom and I have both had an experience where months later, our unique handmade gifts get us "caught".  My mom uses some unique yarn in her crocheted gifts, and made some sample for a church talent show -- a 12 Day receiver noticed the same yarn as her gifts.  And to my surprise (not), I guess many people don't make handmade candles in Mason jars.  I made some candles as prizes for a church activity, and I too, got caught.

As a mom, this has been a very rewarding experience!  My children who do not lack for toys, food, or clothing are learning to give away that which they have made.  They are learning they don't have to keep everything.  They are learning to make things with their own hands.  They are learning to be surprised, and to give anonymously.  And for the last two days, they have asked why they can't give to a different person each day for 12 Days.

See my next blog for details on this year's 12 Days of Christmas.

2 comments: